Our Pick: Greater Goods Smart Blood Pressure Monitor 0604
*At the time of publishing, the price was $45.
Of all the blood pressure monitors we tested, the Greater Goods Smart Blood Pressure Monitor 0604 was the best in terms of features and ease of use. We liked its large, backlit display, as well as its capacity to store up to 60 measurements per each of two users on the device itselfand unlimited readings in the companion app, Balance Health . In our testing, the monitor gave reliably consistent readings. The cuff is comfortable and fits most arms, and the machine can both run on batteries and be plugged into the wall. It also offers the option to send data wirelessly from the monitor to an app via Bluetooth.
Like most of the monitors we considered, the 0604 offers irregular pulse detection and the ability to average pressure readings in the Balance Health app accessing these functions is simple and intuitive. You can toggle between users with an easy slide of a switch , and the monitor is usable straight out of the box, even beforeor without everconnecting to the app.
The 0604 is extremely quietit sounds like a refrigerator hum if youre within a couple inches of it, and it shouldnt disturb someone across the room. Its large, backlit display is easy to read, but readings stay on the screen for only a minute or so after delivery. The machine does, however, instantly send your results to the app, making daily, weekly, monthly, or annual averaging a simple task.
What Equipment Do I Need To Measure My Blood Pressure At Home
To measure your blood pressure at home, you can use either an aneroid monitor or digital monitor. Choose the type of monitor that best meets your needs. Look at the following features when you select a monitor.
- Size: The right cuff size is very important. The cuff size you need is based on the size of your arm. You can ask the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to help you. Blood pressure readings can be wrong if your cuff is the wrong size.
- Price: Cost may be a key factor. Home blood pressure units vary in price. You may want to shop around to find the best deal. Keep in mind that pricey units may not be the best or most accurate.
- Display: The numbers on the monitor should be easy for you to read.
- Sound: You must be able to hear your heartbeat through the stethoscope .
Tests show that finger and wrist devices do not always provide correct measurements. These devices are sensitive to placement and body temperature. They also are expensive and can cost more than $100.
The aneroid monitor manually checks your blood pressure. It has a gauge that you read by looking at a pointer on the dial. The cuff goes around your upper arm, and you squeeze a rubber bulb to inflate it by hand.
Inflation of the cuff is either automatic or manual, depending on the model. Deflation is automatic. Digital monitors are good for hearing-impaired patients, since there is no need to listen to your heartbeat through the stethoscope.
Blood Pressure Companion Apps
Make the most out of your devices with OMRON apps. They make it easy to track your health and include features that allow you to view your blood pressure at any time, track your log history and check for patterns, and email data to your family or physicians.
Available on the App Store® or Google Play
Only available in the United States. Not supported in other countries.
Also Check: What Is The Meaning Of Blood Pressure
Before You Measure Your Blood Pressure
- Avoid things that can raise your blood pressure in the short term. Dont measure your blood pressure within half an hour of eating, smoking, drinking caffeinated drinks such as coffee, or exercising. These can all raise your blood pressure temporarily. If you need to use the toilet, go before you measure your blood pressure.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes. Wear a short-sleeved t-shirt or something with sleeves you can push up easily, nothing tight. This is so that you can fit the cuff around your arm.
- Rest for five minutes before you take your reading. Sit down somewhere quiet, ideally at a desk or table. Have your back supported with your arm resting on a firm surface and your feet flat on the floor. Stay in this position while you take your blood pressure.
- Make sure your arm is supported and at the same level as your heart. Position yourself so that your arm is resting on a surface and is at the same height as your heart. Keep your arm and hand relaxed, not tensed.
- Make sure you are relaxed and comfortable. If you are anxious or uncomfortable, your blood pressure will rise temporarily.
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Why do I need to monitor my blood pressure at home?
- How often do I need to measure my blood pressure?
- What type of monitor should I use?
- What do my blood pressure readings mean?
- What is considered a normal blood pressure for me?
- What should I do if my readings are abnormal?
- Are there any lifestyle changes I can make to help manage my blood pressure?
- Do I need to take medicine to manage my blood pressure?
- What other things can affect a blood pressure reading?
Also Check: What Us Normal Blood Pressure
Paramed Blood Pressure Monitor Accurate Automatic Upper Arm Bp Machine
The unique selling point here is that this is actually a talking device. The appeal of this will depend on your needs and disabilities. A speaking model that gives audible readings and alarms can b great for those with visual impairments. There is also an additional feature when the machine plays music as it takes the reading. This is more for fun than any medical benefit.
- The talking features for the results
- The large display that also help those with visual impairments
- The ability to track data for two different users
- There have been some inaccurate readings
- There was a lack of instructions in some cases
It isnt just the talking feature of this product that makes it such a popular choice with consumers. The technology for the readings ensures that you can get clear data with the quick readings and the large LCD display. This display holds data for 60 readings for 2 people. There is even a self-checking system on-board that lets users check for signs of arrhythmia. Be aware that the cuff here is an upper-arm cuff, not one for the wrist. That is why it looks so big. It fits arms between 22 and 40cm.
This a great device for all those that may have trouble reading the screen and need an independent approach to blood pressure readings. The music does mean that it verges into gimmick territory. But, the additional features are enough to make it recommendable to this target market. With better instructions, this machine would get even more positive reviews.
Hypertension Canadas Recommended Bpm Devices Listing
Hypertension Canadas Recommended BPM Devices Listing is designed to help you in your purchasing decisions by easily identifying devices that are validated in studies as accurate.
Devices used to measure blood pressure at home can be purchased from most pharmacies and stores that sell health care equipment. Here are some helpful tips when shopping for a blood pressure monitor:
- Ask the staff for training on how to properly use the monitor and assistance in selecting the proper cuff size and features.
- Blood pressure monitors that have a memory or printout for storing readings are recommended as this allows your doctor to see all readings that have been taken.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist to check the monitor to make sure it is accurate.
- Automated blood pressure monitors may not work properly in those with an irregular heart rhythm. If you have an irregular heart rhythm, alert the sales staff so you can test out the device to ensure it takes proper readings before making a purchase.
- Make sure to use products that dont interfere with the regular heart rhythm.
- Make sure that the device you are using or purchasing is Recommended by Hypertension Canada. These devices have been clinically validated to be accurate.
Recommended Reading: Will Viagra Lower Blood Pressure
Systolic More Than 130
With a systolic reading of more than 130 mm Hg or a diastolic reading of more than 80 mm Hg, youre experiencing hypertension, and your doctor will determine a treatment plan.
Always contact your doctor if youre worried about blood pressure results. For more information about high blood pressure, check out this article.
Systolic more than 180 or diastolic more than 120?
If the systolic number of your blood pressure reading is more than 180 mm Hg or the diastolic number is more than 120 mm Hg, seek immediate medical attention, particularly if you have symptoms like headache, arm pain, or blurred vision.
How To Take Blood Pressure At Home
Before you use your monitor, make sure you have not recently consumed any caffeine, as this can increase your chanced of seeing high blood pressure unexpectedly. Sit still with your feet flat on the floor and be sure to place the arm you’re using on a table or pillow. Make sure the cuff of your monitor is wrapped tightly around your upper arm before you begin. Follow the instructions that came with your monitor and allow the test to complete before recording your numbers. It’s always a good idea to write down or log your blood pressure daily if it’s a concern so you can talk to your doctor and give them accurate information.
Best Blood Pressure Monitors Of 2022
Blood pressure is a vital metric that can help determine your risk of a variety of health issues. Unfor tunately, the often unnoticeable side effects of high blood pressure make it hard to know when intervention is necessary, which is why this condition is commonly known as the silent killer. An at-home blood pressure monitor can help you keep close tabs on this crucial health metric. By taking your own blood pressure readings regularly and tracking changes over time, youre better equipped to manage your health for the long haul.
To identify the best blood pressure monitors, the Forbes Health editorial team analyzed data on nearly 50 products across the most reputable brands. From price to accuracy to data storage ability to usability, see which blood pressure monitors stand out as our top picks.
Note: Prices are accurate as of the publication date but are subject to change.
When considering buying a blood pressure monitor for home use, look into the following factors.
Best Blood Pressure Cuffs And Monitors: Bottom Line
The heart is one of the most important organs in the human body, so taking proper measures to protect it is more than a big deal. Home health tools can help make monitoring your health stats easy so that you can take the initiative over your overall health and wellness.
* YourShapeYourLife.com as an Amazon Associate may earn from qualifying purchases.
Recommended Reading: How To Diagnose Pulmonary Hypertension
Also Great: Omron Evolv
*At the time of publishing, the price was $80.
Of the Bluetooth-capable smart monitors we tested, Omrons Evolv emerged as a panel favorite in 2019 and, after our 2021 testing, remains our favorite all-in-one device. While some all-in-one smart blood pressure monitors require syncing to your phone to view readings, the Evolv can be used with or without the Omron Connect app. That is, you dont need to have your phone nearby to get your blood pressure readingit is displayed directly on the screen, as well. The Evolv is included in both the US Blood Pressure Validated Device Listing and Stride BP Validated Devices List its also been validated for home use by the British and Irish Hypertension Society, meaning it has either met the standards established by three separate international protocols or achieved a minimum B grade for both systolic and diastolic measurements based on other criteria.
The cuff and the monitor of the Evolv are one conjoined unit, but its still lightweight and easy to put on thanks to a preformed ring you slip your arm through before tightening the Velcro closure. Unfortunately, this preformed ring made it uncomfortable for some testers with arms measuring on the higher end of the cuffs circumference range you can stretch that ring as you put your arm through to avoid this discomfort, but its not ideal.
Blood Pressure Monitor Upper Arm Lovia Accurate Automatic Digital Bp Machine For Home Use & Pulse Rate Monitoring Meter With Cuff 22
- One-Touch Operation & Large Display -This blood pressure monitor is fully automatic, just press the start button and it will provide you with accurate readings within 1 minute. The large backlit LCD display provides clear readings, people with poor eyesight can also easily read, especially suitable for the elders use
- What You Get – 1x blood pressure monitor, 1x arm cuff, 1xUSB charger , 1 x user manual
- Clinically Accurate – The upper arm blood pressure monitor built-in advanced sensor with high sensitivity and has been tested to ensure accuracy. It can not only reads blood pressure, but also detect irregular heartbeat during the measurement
- Adjustable Large Cuff – The self-checking cuff is adjustable and fits for most standard and large adult arm sizes from circumference 8.7″ to 15.7″, easy to put on and take off by one person
- 240 Memory & 2 Users Mode – The digital BP machine has dual-user mode, which can individually record up to 120 sets of data for each user, perfect to keep track of your fitness. With small and portable body, it’s easy to store and carry that convenient for you to use on the travel
Also Check: What Causes Blood Pressure To Go Up
How To Read Blood Pressure Monitor
Many people purchase blood pressure monitors to keep track of their blood pressure at home. One of the reasons is to keep track or to manage a health condition. If you do check your blood pressure at home, keep a record log of the measurements of your blood pressure and heart rate to show your health care provider.
When reading a blood pressure monitor, you will see a display that shows your blood pressure. You will see your systolic and diastolic pressure. The systolic pressure is in front of the diastolic pressure. An example that you might see is 120/80 on a monitor. The 120 is systolic and the 80 is diastolic.
Greater Goods Blood Pressure Monitor Cuff Kit By Balance
The reason that this Balance machine makes the grade in this guide is that it is an updated kit for a better experience. The company has improved the feel and design of the cuff with a new soft fabric. This extra comfort can make a difference. The new kit also includes the wall plug adaptor, batteries and a storage case. This improves the potential for transporting the device to other locations.
- The updates to the design with the improved cuff
- The ease of use with the LCD screen and memory
- The improved portability with the new case and adaptor
- There have been issues with the display when changing the batteries
- The cuff is too large for some users
At this point, you will see that many of the best blood pressure machines for at-home use follow a similar blueprint. They have many of the same benefits and flaws because of the limitations involved and the intended purpose. Therefore, you will see that this model has some familiar advantages, such as the 2-user memory, the large LCD screen, and simple process.
If this machine was a little more user-friendly with the battery system and different cuff sizes, it would be a 5-star product. At it is, it is still recommendable for many buyers because of the improvements made to the design, the ease of use and the readings on offer.
Choosing A Home Blood Pressure Monitor
The American Heart Association recommends an automatic, cuff-style, bicep monitor.
- Wrist and finger monitors are not recommended because they yield less reliable readings.
- Choose a monitor that has been validated. If you are unsure, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice or find options at validatebp.org.
- When selecting a blood pressure monitor for a senior, pregnant woman or child, make sure it is validated for these conditions.
- Make sure the cuff fits measure around your upper arm and choose a monitor that comes with the correct size cuff.
Greater Goods Blood Pressure Monitor Cuff Kit By Balance Digital Bp Meter With Large Display Upper Arm Cuff Set Also Comes With Tubing And Device Bag
- Long Lasting: Plug it in and give it a charge or power it up with 4 AAA batteries . Either way, the Greater Goods blood pressure monitor will be ready for you.
- A Cuff for Everyone: The cuff wasnt an afterthought our adjustable cuff is comfortable, fits most arms, and is made of premium materials. We want our blood pressure cuffs for home use to be appreciatedin addition to their practical application.
- Everything You Need: Greater Goods blood pressure monitor kit comes with everything you need to make tracking heart health over time as simple as possible. Keep up with your systolic and diastolic blood pressure, as well as your pulse. Also, its compatible with two users, storing up to 60 measurements for each.
- Performance and Value: A reasonably priced blood pressure monitor with performance you can count on. Performing at the top of the pack by starting the reading at the beginning of the cuffs expansiona feature seen in less than 20% of blood pressure monitors!
- A Monitor Made Right: A tried and true monitor, including a bright, back-lit display, large stop/start button, and an irregular heart rate detector. The Greater Goods monitor is the definition of what a BPM should be.
Don’t Miss: How To Lower Blood Pressure Immediately