Ed And Blood Pressure Drugs
While most high blood pressure medications have the potential to cause ED, the two commonly linked to erection problems are thiazide diuretics and, to a lesser degree, beta-blockers. By contrast, some ARBs may actually improve ED symptoms.
The high blood pressure drugs most commonly linked to ED include:
Who Should Not Take Cialis Or Generic Cialis
Do not take CIALIS® or generic CIALIS® if you:
- Have severe liver disease. Tell your doctor if you have mild to moderate liver disease as you may need dosage reductions.
- Have severe kidney disease. Tell your doctor if you have mild to moderate kidney disease as you may need dosage reductions
- Take any medicines called nitrates
- Use recreational drugs called poppers like amyl nitrite and butyl nitrite
- Take any medicines called guanylate cyclase stimulators, such as riociguat
- Are allergic to CIALIS®, tadalafil or ADCIRCA®, or any of its ingredients
Medications Linked To Erection Problems
Erectile dysfunction , formerly known as impotence, is a condition that affects 52% of men between the ages of 40 and 70. It is strongly associated with aging and risk factors such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol, and hypogonadism .
Among the factors people sometimes overlook are the many drugs and medications that can directly or indirectly affect a person’s ability to achieve or sustain an erection.
Verywell / Daniel Fishel
This article explores the long list of prescription, over-the-counter , recreational, and other drugs that can cause or contribute to erectile dysfunction.
Anatomy Of An Erection
In the shaft of the penis there are two side-by-side chambers of spongy tissue called the corpora cavernosa. They’re mainly responsible for erections. Just below them is another chamber called the corpus spongiosum. The urethra, which carries semen and urine, runs through the center of it.
The corpora cavernosa are made of small arteries and veins, smooth muscle fiber, and empty spaces. The chambers are wrapped in a sheath of thin tissue.
When you get an erection, signals from the brain or nerve endings in the penis cause the smooth muscle of the chambers to relax and arteries to dilate, or open wider. This allows a rush of blood to fill the empty spaces.
The pressure of blood flow causes the sheath of tissue around the chambers to press on veins that normally drain blood out of the penis. That traps blood in the penis. As more blood flows in, the penis expands and stiffens, and you have an erection.
When the excitement ends, the smooth muscle contracts again, taking pressure off the veins and allowing blood to flow back out of the penis. Then the penis returns to a flaccid state.
First A Quick Review Of How You Get An Erection:
- Your brain sends signals to your penis to get hard.
- The soft tissue in the shaft relaxes. This lets blood flow in.
- As the blood flows in, it gets trapped as the tissue squeezes the veins to stop the blood from draining out.
- When youre all done, blood is released as the pressure on the veins relaxes.
Thats the quick and dirty version of how an erection works. As you can see blood is essential, and you need get it where it needs to go quickly and effectively.
Heres where high blood pressure comes in.
First, it makes arteries stiffen. In conjunction with narrowing arteries, blood flows more slowly through your entire vascular your system.
This means it simply takes longer to get blood trapped in your penis in order to get hard.
Second, that stiffening of arteries happens in the soft tissues of your penis as well.
This means that the tissue cant relax, which means blood doesnt get trapped, which means that your wood is a bit more bendy then you might like.
Of course, this isnt just anecdotal evidence from disgruntled men suffering with high BP. This is a widespread problem for about half of the men out there.
A study published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society found that for men 40-79 with high blood pressure, a whopping 49% of them had ED.
Another study that included younger men found that 35% of those with high BP had erectile dysfunction, but only 14% of the men with normal blood pressure readings had ED.
Read Also: What Causes Your Blood Pressure To Be High
Who Should Not Take Viagra Or Generic Viagra
Do not take VIAGRA® or generic VIAGRA® if you:
- Take any medicines called nitrates, often prescribed for chest pain, or guanylate cyclase stimulators like Adempas for pulmonary hypertension. Your blood pressure could drop to an unsafe level
- Are allergic to sildenafil, as contained in VIAGRA® and REVATIO®, or any of the ingredients in VIAGRA® or generic VIAGRA® tablets.
- Are a women or a child
What Prescription Drugs May Cause Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is a common side effect of a number of prescription drugs. While these medications may treat a disease or condition, in doing so they can affect a man’s hormones, nerves or blood circulation. The result may be ED or an increase in the risk of ED.
If you have ED and think that it may be a result of the medication you are using, do not stop taking the medication. If the problem persists, contact your doctor and he or she may be able to prescribe a different medication. Common medications that may list ED as a potential side effect include:
- Diuretics .
- Antihypertensives .
Aside from the well-known complications that the use and abuse of these drugs can cause, ED is not often mentioned. However, use of these drugs is a risk factor for ED. These drugs not only affect and often times slow down the central nervous system, but can also cause serious damage to the blood vessels, leading to permanent ED.
Recommended Reading: How Does Vasoconstriction Increase Blood Pressure
What Doctors Treat Erectile Dysfunction
The type of medical specialist who treats ED will depend on the cause of the problem. Based on your family’s medical history, as well as your own medical history and current health, your doctor may treat you with oral medications .
If these options fail, you may be referred to a urologist who can assist with other non-surgical options such as vacuum device or injections or surgical treatment options. If needed, your doctor may also refer you to a psychologist specializing in sexual dysfunction.
What Are The Most Common Side Effects Of Generic Sildenafil Citrate
The most common side effects are:
- Have kidney problems or are having kidney dialysis
- Have any problem with the shape of your penis or Peyronies disease
- Have any other medical conditions
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Sildenafil may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect the way sildenafil works, causing side effects.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you take any of the following:
Withholding or providing inaccurate information about your health and medical history in order to obtain treatment may result in harm, including, in some cases, death.
Don’t Miss: How To Read Blood Pressure Manually
Does High Blood Pressure Cause Erectile Dysfunction
Yes, high blood pressure causes erectile dysfunction for some men. But there is more to it than that. Hypertension causes all of your bodys organs and tissues to slow down and additional strain to perform every day functions. Roughly 30% of men with hypertension also experience ED. Hypertension is both directly and indirectly responsible for these issues.
Certain Illnesses And Medical Conditions:
- type 2 diabetes
- may lead to small vessel disease and nerve damage in the penis
- men with diabetes are 2 to 3 times more likely to develop ED
- insufficient blood flow to the penis
- This could be due to several health conditions
Recommended Reading: Can High Blood Pressure Cause Migraines
What Medications For Low Blood Pressure
Then he was found by a headhunting company and became Jim. Clark and Mark. CEO of Mosaic Communications, a new company co founded by normal blood.pressure Anderson. In mid 1994, Clark and Anderson, the founders of sgisilicongraphics, jointly established Mosaic, medicine which soon kratom and high blood pressure medication changed its name to Netscape.
In the design of contemporary China s political system, they are not how does blood pressure reading work three separate and independent systems, but are interrelated and indivisible.
Social development will have an important impact. In terms of proposals, the key proposals of democratic parties generally account does blood pressure medicine cause ed for a higher proportion of what is the range for normal blood pressure the CPPCC in blood pressure medication cause blood clot terms of proposals, the Wuhan CPPCC and the municipal government will jointly build the brand of proposal proposals, which is the first proposal of the National Committee of the Chinese blood pressure 118 over 78 People s Political Consultative Conference.
We search for talents medicine cause on a global scale, and we must do our best to bring these talents what blood pressure medication is on recall together, because one of them will become Bawe.Muslim churches and lose weight lower blood pressure mosques are just huge stone built halls with does blood pressure ed no tables, chairs and benches inside.
What Types Of Blood Pressure Medications Affect Erectile Function
Typically, there are a few different blood pressure medications that have been known to affect erectile function, including:
- Water pills : Diuretics can decrease forceful blood flow to the penis, making it difficult to achieve an erection. They can also deplete the body of zinc, which is necessary to make the sex hormone testosterone.
- Beta blockers: These medications, especially older generation beta blockers such as propranolol , are commonly associated with sexual dysfunction.
If you take a diuretic, you should stay on it until high blood pressure is under control. If erection problems persist, or blood pressure goes back up, then your doctor might switch to a drug that’s less likely to cause erectile dysfunction. Or, a combination of medications might work better to control high blood pressure and lower the risk of erectile dysfunction.
If you take a beta blocker, you may also want to ask your doctor if it might cause erectile dysfunction. You might be better off on a medication less likely to cause a problem.
Recommended Reading: How To Pass Dot Blood Pressure Test
Does Blood Pressure Medicine Cause Ed
In this way, does blood pressure medicine cause ed all the famous figures in 3 in 1 blood pressure medication name Rome lived in the blood pressure medicine is a countryside and cultivated the land, combo blood pressure meds so people were accustomed to looking does for talents who could support the Republic in the countryside.
We have also proved that it is possible to successfully produce Mercedes products outside of Germany.
It can make how to lower your blood pressure quickly for a physical things faster, more alcohol and blood pressure medication transparent, and less prone to bribery scandals. The fourth is to cause reduce court involvement in commercial disputes.
As for the right to conquer, it has no basis other than the food that reduces blood pressure law of the strongest. If the war did not give the conqueror the right to slaughter the captives at all, then this kind optavia and blood pressure medication of right he did not have could not be the high bp basis of his right to enslavement the conquered.
Does Blood Pressure Medicine Cause Ed The new music notation method was adapted into modern music theory and published. I got acquainted with Diderot and some enlightenment thinkers.
Friend when to worry about blood pressure of the People s Republic of China, so as does blood medicine ed to continuously create a new situation in democratic supervision.
What Are The Most Important Things I Need To Know About Sildenafil 20 Mg Tablets
- Discuss your health with your doctor to ensure that you are healthy enough for sex. If you experience chest pain, dizziness, or nausea during sex, seek immediate emergency medical attention.
- Sildenafil can cause serious side effects. Serious, but rare, side effects include:
- an erection that will not go away . If you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, seek emergency medical attention right away. If it is not treated right away, priapism can permanently damage your penis
- sudden vision loss in one or both eyes. Sudden vision loss in one or both eyes can be a sign of a serious eye problem called non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy . Stop taking sildenafil and call your healthcare provider right away if you have any sudden vision loss
- sudden hearing decrease or hearing loss. Some people may also have ringing in their ears or dizziness. If you have these symptoms, stop taking sildenafil and contact a doctor right away
Don’t Miss: What Is A Dangerously Low Blood Pressure Reading
What Are The Blood Pressure Medications That Do Cause Erectile Dysfunction
A side effect of medication is one of the leading causes of erectile dysfunction among men. Some of the most common medications that headline this list include blood pressure drugs.
If you’re experiencing erectile dysfunction and are currently taking one of these medications, it may be the cause of your ED. Its important to continue taking your medication, but talk with your prescribing doctor about switching to an alternative treatment like those listed above.
The blood pressure medications that have a known history of causing erectile dysfunction include:
- Diuretics. These pills can result in a significant decrease in blood flow to the penis, resulting in issues maintaining erections. Due to their tendency to cause excessive urination, they can also cause a zinc deficiency in the body. Zinc is an essential nutrient that’s critical to the production of the male sex hormone testosterone.
- Beta blockers. By reducing the effect that adrenaline has on the body, beta blockers lower heart rate and blood flow. Both of these functions are necessary to get enough blood into the penis to achieve and maintain an erection.
Could My Blood Pressure Medication Be Making My Erectile Dysfunction Worse
Erectile dysfunction is an exceedingly common problem for men, particularly as they age. While some level of sexual dysfunction may simply be a normal side effect of aging, there are certain factors that can exacerbate a mans erectile dysfunction. Hypertension or high blood pressure is a well-known cause of erectile dysfunction, but many men are unaware that some medications used to treat hypertension can actually cause or worsen ED symptoms as well. At Kasraeian Urology in Jacksonville, FL, board-certified urologists Drs. Ahmad and Ali Kasraeian understand the devastating impact that ED can have on a mans overall well-being and are committed to helping patients identify the possible causes of their ED so that appropriate treatment can be undertaken. Keep reading to learn more about the connection between high blood pressure and ED, and find out which hypertension medications may be making things worse for you.
Also Check: Can Anemia Cause High Blood Pressure
What Are The Symptoms Of Ed
During times of intense emotional distress, heavy drinking, or another abnormal scenario, men may have temporary problems with sexual function. Difficulty getting or keeping an erection that occurs on rare occasions like these may be nothing to worry about. If you begin to experience problems with erections more often, however, it may be time to speak to your urologist. Most often, ED is characterized by one or more of the following:
- Difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection
- Inability to achieve or maintain an erection
- Erection does not last long enough for intercourse
- Erection is not firm enough for penetration
Painkillers Can Make Your Testosterone Plummet
Opioids impair your brains chemicals that tell your testicles to produce testosterone, Dr. Lamm says. Low testosterone can kill your libido and your erection.
Ive seen patients testosterone levels drop to the very lowest levels Ive seen in my practice when theyre on prescription painkillers, he says.
The possible side effects are across the board for all opioids, says Dr. Köhler.
If you need to take prescription painkillers, ask your doctor to check your testosterone levels first. You may need to take both the pain meds and testosterone to balance the two out.
You May Like: How Lo Lower High Blood Pressure
Sleeping Pills Can Cause Prolonged Erections
Trazodone is an antidepressant and sedative thats often prescribed to help people fall asleep. But the pill is also known to cause priapisman erection that lasts longer than four hours.
One 2015 study found that 10 out of 13 patients taking trazodone dropped out because of its side effects, including prolonged erections.
If you stay hard for that long, it means that blood is trapped in your penis. Without treatment, priapism can lead to severe pain, tissue damage, and even permanent ED. Thats why you need to go to the emergency room if your erection lasts longer than four hours.
Dr. Köhler, who sees a couple of patients a year due to trazodone-induced erections, says the marathon boners can be avoided by following trazodones dosage instructions to the letter.