Check Your Blood Pressure At Home
The new guidelines note that blood pressure should be measured on a regular basis and encourage people to use home blood pressure monitors. Monitors can range from $40 to $100 on average, but your insurance may cover part or all of the cost. Measure your blood pressure a few times a week and see your doctor if you notice any significant changes. Here are some tips on how to choose and use a monitor.
- Select a monitor that goes around your upper arm. Wrist and finger monitors are not as precise.
- Select an automated monitor, which has a cuff that inflates itself.
- Look for a digital readout that is large and bright enough to see clearly.
- Consider a monitor that also plugs into your smartphone to transfer the readings to an app, which then creates a graph of your progress. Some devices can send readings wirelessly to your phone.
How Older Adults Can Maintain A Healthy Blood Pressure
Maintaining a healthy blood pressure doesnt have to be complicated. Simple lifestyle changes can help:
- Exercise. National guidelines recommend adults of all ages engage in at least 150 minutes of moderate physical activity each week. If mobility or health conditions are a problem, older adults should try to be as physically active as possible.
- Lose weight. If your loved one is overweight, every 2 pounds lost can help reduce blood pressure by 1 mm Hg.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet low in salt. The DASH diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, poultry, fish and low-fat dairy foods. It was designed specifically to help lower blood pressure. Try to limit sodium to no more than 2,300 milligrams per day.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol can raise your blood pressure. If your loved one chooses to drink alcoholic drinks, limit it to no more than one drink a day for women and up to two drinks a day for men.
- Dont smoke. Tobacco damages your artery walls. If your loved one smokes, ask their doctor how to help them quit.
- Manage stress. Try simple relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing exercises or meditation.
In some cases, diet and lifestyle changes are not enough to lower blood pressure. Your loved one may be having a difficult time achieving significant changes in their lifestyle, or their hypertension may be too severe to treat with diet and exercise alone.
Do I Have High Blood Pressure
One reason to visit your doctor regularly is to have your blood pressure checked. Routine checks of your blood pressure will help pick up an early rise in blood pressure, even though you might feel fine. If there’s an indication that your blood pressure is high at two or more checkups, the doctor may ask you to check your blood pressure at home at different times of the day. If the pressure stays high, even when you are relaxed, the doctor may suggest exercise, changes in your diet, and, most likely, medications.
Don’t Miss: Does Cholesterol Raise Blood Pressure
How Blood Pressure Is Measured
Blood pressure testing stations can be found in pharmacies, workplaces, and medical clinics. You can also buy a blood pressure monitor online or at your local pharmacy.
To measure blood pressure, a cuff attached to a monitor is placed on your arm. The cuff is then inflated with an air pump until its pressure stops blood flow from your brachial arterythe major artery found in your upper arm.
As the cuff deflates, the device measures the pressure when blood starts flowing again . Once the cuff is completely deflated, the device gauges the lowest pressure between beats .
Typically, more attention is given to the systolic pressure reading, as systolic blood pressure is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease in people over the age of 50. Still, both readings are used to make a diagnosis.
If You Get A High Blood Pressure Reading
- A single high reading is not an immediate cause for alarm. If you get a reading that is slightly or moderately higher than normal, take your blood pressure a few more times and consult your healthcare professional to verify if there s a health concern or whether there may be any issues with your monitor.
- If your blood pressure readings suddenly exceed 180/120 mm Hg, wait five minutes and test again. If your readings are still unusually high, contact your doctor immediately. You could be experiencing a hypertensive crisis.
- If your blood pressure is higher than 180/120 mm Hg and you are experiencing signs of possible organ damage such as chest pain, shortness of breath, back pain, numbness/weakness, change in vision, difficulty speaking, do not wait to see if your pressure comes down on its own. Call 911.
Read Also: Do Onions Lower Blood Pressure
Where Can I Get My Blood Pressure Checked
You can get your blood pressure measured
- By a health care team member at a doctors office.
- At a pharmacy that has a digital blood pressure measurement machine.
- With a home blood pressure monitor that you can use yourself.
Take this form pdf icon with you on your first blood pressure visit to record important blood pressure-related information.
Normal Blood Pressure For Men
Men are recommended to have an average normal blood pressure of 120/80 however, as we have noted, there are varying factors to consider when determining what works for each person. What is normal for a man in his 30s is not deemed a normal reading for a man in his 60s.
The following are the average blood pressures and the corresponding lows and highs for men from ages 15 to 64 years.
Don’t Miss: Does Spicy Food Cause High Blood Pressure
Why Trust Verywell Health
As an internationally recognized health writer and product guru, Leah Groth understands that nobody wants to waste their time or money on products that fail to rear results. Over the years, she has interviewed the world’s top health experts and reviewed hundreds of items, to help readers like you discover the most effective health gadgets, goops, and aids that will help you look and feel your very best.
Additional reporting to this story by Danielle Zoellner
As a seasoned health writer, Danielle Zoellner knows the importance of finding just the right product to fit your medical needs. Throughout her career, Danielle has interviewed a variety of experts in the medical and health fields while reviewing dozens of products. Her experience and knowledge in the field work together to help readers like yourself find the best products for your daily life.
Variations In Blood Pressure
Your blood pressure changes to meet your bodys needs. If a reading is high, your doctor may measure your blood pressure again on several separate occasions to confirm the level.
Your doctor may also recommend that you measure your blood pressure at home or have a 24-hour recording with a monitoring device.
Read Also: Onions And Blood Pressure
Systemic Arterial Pressure And Age
Fetal blood pressure
In pregnancy, it is the fetal heart and not the mother’s heart that builds up the fetal blood pressure to drive blood through the fetal circulation. The blood pressure in the fetal aorta is approximately 30 mmHg at 20 weeks of gestation, and increases to approximately 45 mmHg at 40 weeks of gestation.
The average blood pressure for full-term infants:
- Systolic 6595 mmHg
In children, the normal ranges for blood pressure are lower than for adults and depend on height. Reference blood pressure values have been developed for children in different countries, based on the distribution of blood pressure in children of these countries.
When Is My Blood Pressure Too High
Whether a persons individual blood pressure is so high that lowering it is necessary to prevent the development of pathological conditions does not merely depend on the blood pressure value. A persons individual medical history is the determining factor: for instance, persons at a greater risk of cardiovascular disease may already require treatment even for levels falling within the elevated-normal range.
If a case of high blood pressure goes untreated, the risk of cardiac insufficiency, heart attack, circulatory disorders, stroke, or kidney damage increase considerably. This is why blood pressure should be checked regularly at-risk groups are recommended to keep a blood pressure chart.
Don’t Miss: How To Calibrate Blood Pressure Monitor Omron
What Is The Normal Blood Pressure Range For Adults
Everyone enjoys a little sugar and spice in their lives. Most people suffer from high blood pressure due to an excessive intake of processed food and salty food items. Nobody wants to spend the rest of their life under a restricted diet and consuming tablets! This is why it is critical to control your salt intake and maintain a normal blood pressure range. Your health comes first and it is better to control your diet before it is too late. Here is a brief explanation of the normal blood pressure range and the rest of the ranges for adults and the elderly.
Low blood pressureIf your blood pressure is 90 over 60 mmHg or less, this means that your blood pressure is low. Increase your salt intake and visit a doctor if you suffer from any serious conditions.
Normal blood pressureIf your blood pressure is more than 90 over 60 mmHg and less than 120 over 80 mmHg, you have normal blood pressure. This reading is healthy and ideal. Avoid eating large amounts of processed food and salty food items and you will be in good health.
Slightly above normalIf your blood pressure is more than 90 over 60 mmHg and less than 140 over 90 mmHg, it is a little higher than the normal blood pressure range. Avoid eating salty food items and processed food and lower your blood pressure. Healthy lifestyle changes such as going on morning walks or exercising regularly could go a long way in preventing high blood pressure.
What Makes A Blood Pressure Supplement Effective
The secret is simply in the formula! Using the correct dosage and potency of clinically-proven key ingredients will help achieve results like nothing else. Key ingredients such as Magnesium and Folic Acid have been clinically proven to relax arteries for improved blood flow. Others such as Hawthorn Berries and Vitamin B Complex increase blood flow as well as lower LDL cholesterol while ingredients such as Vitamin C and Celery act as diuretics, removing toxins from the blood which may hamper blood flow.
Our recommended choice stands above and beyond the competition, we think you will agree. The companys excellent reputation, high-quality product, external independent monitoring, and testing, coupled with an incredible money-back guarantee policy, makes this a formula that you are going to want to take a closer look at.
You May Like: Veterinary Blood Pressure Cuff Size Chart
You May Like: Does Spicy Food Cause High Blood Pressure
What The Researchers Found
Treatment targets should always be determined after discussion between the person and their doctor about the potential benefits and harms of lowering blood pressure.
Adults 60 years of age or older with systolic blood pressure of 150 mm Hg or more should be treated with a goal of reducing systolic blood pressure to less than 150 mm Hg.
Adults 60 years of age or older who have had a stroke or transient ischemic attack should be treated with a goal of reducing their systolic blood pressure to less than 140 mm Hg.
Adults 60 years of age or older who are at high risk for cardiovascular events should be treated with a goal of reducing their systolic blood pressure to less than 140 mm Hg, but this decision should be made on an individual basis.
How To Lower Blood Pressure
If youâre over 70 and have been told that your blood pressure is too high, donât let the conditionâs lack of symptoms keep you from working to get it into a healthy range. Make it a point to:
Review all your medications with your doctor.âMany people will need medication to manage their blood pressure,â Andromalos says. But be sure to tell your doctor about all other prescriptions you may have and any over-the-counter medications that you take, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or decongestants because they can raise your blood pressure, Dr. Vaishnava says.
Move more. Regular, moderate exercise can help you lower your blood pressure, the Mayo Clinic states. Find an activity you enjoy so that youâll stick with it cycling, walking, swimming or dancing, for instance. Strength training and high intensity interval training also can help lower your blood pressure.
Lose weight. The higher your body mass, the harder your heart has to work to pump critical blood. Losing even a small amount of weight can help lower your blood pressure, the Mayo Clinic states.
You May Like: Do Onions Lower Blood Pressure
Whats The Normal Blood Pressure For An 80 Year Old Man
73 83. 75 79 years. 154 166. 80 87. Over 80 years. 147 162. 60 90. This table above shows ranges for normal blood pressure for men over 50 years of age. It is clear from the table that blood pressure rises after the age of 60 years and peaks at about 75-89 years and gradually reduces thereafter.
Keep Yourself At A Healthy Weight
Having overweight or obesity increases your risk for high blood pressure. To determine whether your weight is in a healthy range, doctors often calculate your body mass index . If you know your weight and height, you can calculate your BMI at CDCs Assessing Your Weight website. Doctors sometimes also use waist and hip measurements to assess body fat.
Talk with your health care team about ways to reach a healthy weight, including choosing healthy foods and getting regular physical activity.
Read Also: Do Onions Lower Blood Pressure
Lintelek Smart Watch And Fitness Tracker
With the Lintelek Smart Watch and Fitness Tracker, you can check your heart rate and blood pressure data without connecting to an app. It also works well as a fitness watch with seven sport modes, a stopwatch, and a reset function. Compared to other fitness trackers, it also has a great battery life of 10 days active mode and 20 days in standby, taking just two hours to charge via USB fully.
What Diet Helps Control High Blood Pressure
- Eat foods that are lower in fat, salt and calories, such as skim or 1% milk, fresh vegetables and fruits, and whole grain rice, and pasta.
- Use flavorings, spices and herbs to make foods tasty without using salt. The optimal recommendation for salt in your diet is to have less than 1500 milligrams of sodium a day. Don’t forget that most restaurant foods and many processed and frozen foods contain high levels of salt. Use herbs and spices that do not contain salt in recipes to flavor your food do not add salt at the table.
- Avoid or cut down on butter and margarine, regular salad dressings, fatty meats, whole milk dairy products, fried foods, processed foods or fast foods, and salted snacks.
- Ask your provider if you should increase potassium in your diet Discuss the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet with your provider. The DASH diet emphasizes adding fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to your diet while reducing the amount of sodium. Since it is rich in fruits and vegetables, which are naturally lower in sodium than many other foods, the DASH diet makes it easier to eat less salt and sodium.
Recommended Reading: Vodka Blood Pressure
The Definition For What Is Considered High Blood Pressure Has Been Tightened Here’s What You Need To Know
If you didn’t have high blood pressure before, there’s a good chance you do now.
In 2017, new guidelines from the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, and nine other health organizations lowered the numbers for the diagnosis of hypertension to 130/80 millimeters of mercury and higher for all adults. The previous guidelines set the threshold at 140/90 mm Hg for people younger than age 65 and 150/80 mm Hg for those ages 65 and older.
This means 70% to 79% of men ages 55 and older are now classified as having hypertension. That includes many men whose blood pressure had previously been considered healthy. Why the change?
Dosmarter Smart Fitness Watch
The three-axis accelerometer inside the DoSmarter Smart Fitness Watch allows it to accurately record your activity in 10 sport modes, including swimming. It has an all-day heart rate and blood pressure monitor, too, so you can review your health data and see your progress over time. Extra features include a sedentary alarm, sleep quality assessment, and womens health tracking.
Don’t Miss: Which Arm To Check Blood Pressure
Regulation Of Blood Pressure
These different mechanisms are not necessarily independent of each other, as indicated by the link between the RAS and aldosterone release. When blood pressure falls many physiological cascades commence in order to return the blood pressure to a more appropriate level.