Indulge In Dark Chocolate
The sweet is rich in flavanols, which relax blood vessels and boost blood flow, and research suggests that regular dark chocolate consumption could lower your blood pressure. Experts havent determined an ideal percentage of cocoa, says Vivian Mo, M.D., clinical associate professor of medicine at the University of Southern California, but the higher you go, the more benefits youll get. Chocolate cant be your main strategy for managing blood pressure, Mo saysbut when youre craving a treat, its a healthy choice.
Blood Pressure Foods To Avoid
- High sodium foods: Sodium raises blood pressure avoid high sodium processed foods, pickles, olives or canned foods.
- Trans fats and Omega-6 fats: These fats increase inflammation and blood pressure and are found in packaged foods and conventional meats.
- Sugar: High sugar consumption is connected to high blood pressure.
- Caffeine: Too much caffeine can cause an increase in blood pressure.
- Alcohol: Narrows arteries and can increase blood pressure.
Reduce Stress Through Meditation And Rest
Chronic stress can lead to chronic elevations in the stress hormones cortisol and adrenaline, says Dr. Desai. These hormones constrict the arteries and cause weight gain, which further increases blood pressure.
He recommends reducing stress by using breathing exercises, practicing meditation, completing physical exercise, practicing yoga, logging quality sleep, taking breaks throughout the day, spending time in nature, listening to music and eating a balanced diet.
You May Like: Can Low Blood Pressure Cause Heart Attack
How To Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
The term lifestyle changes implies you will need to change your habits to bring your blood pressure down. Broadly speaking, these modifications are natural non-pharmaceutical ways of lowering blood pressure. Six methods have been proven effective in clinical studies, and two others are recommended:
Essential Oils For Blood Pressure
Another of the many natural ways to lower blood pressure is to incorporate some key essential oils into your daily lifestyle. Essential oils can lower blood pressure by dilating arteries, acting as antioxidants to reduce oxidative stress and by decreasing emotional stress. The most effective essential oils for lowering blood pressure are lavender, ylang ylang, clary sage and frankincense.
Talk with your natural doctor about how to lower blood pressure naturally and safely. Check with your doctor before making major diet and exercise changes. If youre taking any medications, youll also want to make sure there are no drug interactions with any natural supplements you plan to take.
- Blood pressure is a combination of systolic and diastolic pressure.
- High blood pressure happens when the pressure on the arteries and blood vessels becomes too high and the arterial wall becomes distorted causing extra stress on the heart.
- You can monitor your own blood pressure by measuring your pulse rate.
- Try natural ways to lower blood pressure like dietary changes, stress relievers and exercise.
- Check with your doctor before making any major diet or exercise changes or trying new supplements.
Also Check: Claritin D And High Blood Pressure
Enrich Your Diet With Magnesium
Deficient conditions cause blood vessels to become less resistant to damage from hypertension.The magnesium mineral is essential for the function of the endothelium, the inner layer of the blood vessels,which is responsible for the secretion of substances that dilate the blood vessels.
You can find magnesium in nuts, leafy green vegetables and lentils.Also in whole grains, soybeans, and chocolate.
Foods To Avoid In High Blood Pressure:
1. Packed or Processed Meats: These are loaded with high amounts of sodium, which is harmful to your blood pressure.
2. Frozen Food Items: These are loaded with harmful preservatives as well as with sodium which is detrimental to your blood pressure.
3. Canned Foods: These products are high in salt so you put a stop to this habit and maintain your blood pressure within the healthier range.
4. Alcohol: Excessive consumption of alcohol in your body leads to weight gain and dehydration, which in turn raise your blood pressure.
5. Processed Cheese: Avoid processed cheese which has a high amount of salt.
6. Bacon: This is high in fats and also contains high amounts of sodium.
7. Chinese Delicacies: Limit the intake of Chinese food or if you want to order opt for steamed or boiled ones rather than deep fried or the ones sautéed in too many sauces.
8. Caffeinated Beverages: Excessive intake of beverages may trigger the adrenal glands that release adrenaline substances and excess amounts of cortisol, which in turn increase your blood pressure.
9. Ready to Eat Soups: Ready to use soups contain high amounts of salt and sodium which is harmful for blood pressure so look for the soup label with less salt or less sodium.
10. Pickles: These are loaded with salt so keep pickle at side. If you want to relish then wash the pickle under water to get rid of salt.
13. Sauces: This contains high amounts of salt and sugar.
Recommended Reading: High Blood Pressure Symptoms Mayo Clinic
Best Natural Home Remedies For High Blood Pressure Control
Nowadays, high blood pressure or called hypertension is a quite common disease or medical condition and tends to develop. The normal blood pressure is 120/80, and for an adult, it should be under 140/90. This disease is a serious health problem because it may be a life-threatening disease if it is not controlled. Hypertension can lead to heart disease, kidney failure, and strokes. Common reasons or contributing factors of hypertension are obesity, genetic factors, high salt intake, excessive drinking, and lack of aerobic exercise, pain relievers, kidney disease, stress, birth control pills, and adrenal disease. In this writing, you will know top 7 natural home remedies for high blood pressure control without any side effect. While we are listing the scientific evidence, the recipes we’ve focused on are traditional home remedies so proceed with caution depending on your blood pressure status. Always consult your doctor and take your blood pressure regularly to know if a remedy is working for you.
1. Fresh Celery Juice
Unlike hypertension reducing drugs, celery and its seed extracts can naturally and safely lower the high level of your blood pressure significantly without any side effect. According to a recent study, an extract of celery seeds of dosage of 150mg a day can significantly reduce both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Celery seed extract and celery juice can be useful for controlling high blood pressure.
Increase Your Potassium Intake
Potassium helps to lower blood pressure by counteracting the effects of sodium. A daily potassium intake of 3,000 to 3,500 mg from bananas, tomatoes, and other vegetables is recommended. Coconut water and bananas are two of the best potassium-rich foods. If you have hypertension, increasing your potassium intake to recommended levels should result in a 4 to 5 mmHg drop in blood pressure. Potassium is a vital mineral that regulates heart rate and can help lower blood pressure.
Because modern diets have increased sodium intake while decreasing potassium intake, eat fewer processed foods and more fresh, whole foods. There is a lot of potassium in fruits, vegetables, milk, and yogurt. In addition, you should restrict potassium intake if you have severe kidney disease.
Don’t Miss: Blood Pressure Side Effects
The Following Blood Pressure Ranges Are Available
Normal: It is normal when the blood pressure is less than 120/80 millimeters of mercury.
Prehypertension: Systolic blood pressure of 120129 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure of less than 80 mmHg
stage one hypertension: If your blood pressure is between 130139 mmHg and your diastolic blood pressure is 8089 mmHg, you may have stage 1 hypertension.
Stage 2 hypertension: systolic blood pressure of at least 140 mm Hg or diastolic blood pressure of at least 90 mm Hg
Nix Your Nicotine Addiction
Each cigarette you smoke temporarily raises blood pressure for several minutes after you finish. If youre a heavy smoker, your blood pressure can stay elevated for extended periods of time.
Even secondhand smoke can put you at increased risk for high blood pressure and heart disease.
Drinking a glass of red wine with your dinner is perfectly fine. It might even offer heart-health benefits when done in moderation.
But drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can lead to lots of health issues, including high blood pressure.
Excessive drinking can also reduce the effectiveness of certain blood pressure medications.
What does drinking in moderation mean? The AHA recommends that men limit their consumption to two alcoholic drinks per day. Women should limit their intake to one alcoholic drink per day.
One drink equals:
Read Also: Prevention Of Low Blood Pressure
Starting Treatment For High Blood Pressure
Blood pressure persistently higher than 134/80 mm Hg usually is treated with lifestyle modifications and medication. These circumstances include borderline diastolic pressures in association with end-organ damage, systolic hypertension, or factors that increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, such as age over 65 years, African American descent, smoking, hyperlipemia , or diabetes.
Any one of several classes of medications may be started, except the alpha blocker medications, which are used only in combination with another antihypertensive medication in specific medical situations.
In some situations, certain classes of antihypertensive drugs are preferable to others as the first-line drugs. Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blocking drugs are the drugs of choice in patients with heart failure, chronic kidney failure , or heart attack that weakens the heart muscle . Also, beta blockers are sometimes the preferred treatment in hypertensive patients with a resting tachycardia or an acute heart attack.
Alcohol Use Should Be Reduced To A Minimum
Blood pressure can rise with any quantity of alcohol consumption. However, according to research, moderate alcohol drinking may benefit your heart. In the United States, women are limited to one drink per day, whereas men are limited to two drinks per day.
Limiting your alcohol intake can also affect the effectiveness of your blood pressure medication, so be sure to do so.
Don’t Miss: High Blood Pressure Side Effects In Men
What Can I Do To Lower My Blood Pressure
Heres how to lower blood pressure with lifestyle changes:
- Exercise: Make regular physical activity part of your daily routine even just a half hour per day can boost health and help you achieve a healthy weight. Aerobic exercise in particular has been studied as a possible non-pharmacological treatment for high blood pressure. Try taking the stairs at work or walking around while youre on the phone.
- Weight loss : Even losing just two pounds can lower systolic blood pressure, Dr. DePalma says. Usually, if someone loses up to 5% of his or her body weight, it will have a significant impact on blood pressure.
- Avoid all nicotine: Skip this stimulant in all its forms, like smoking, vaping, patches, and chew.
- Avoid drugs: Recreational drugs can affect your blood pressure in addition to every other part of your life.
- Monitor your medications: Some medications and supplements can alter the effectiveness of blood pressure medication.
- Practice mindfulness: Reduce stress and your blood pressure with reduce with it. Try deep breathing exercises when you feel your blood pressure rising.
How To Lower Blood Pressure Quickly And Naturally
When someone has high blood pressure, also known as hypertension, it means their blood is pumping with too much force against the artery walls. The condition can eventually lead to heart disease, stroke, or other cardiac conditions. High blood pressure is extremely common in the United States. More than 103 million people in the country have itand many dont even know theirs is too high, because it can be asymptomatic, says John Osborne, MD, director of cardiology at LowT Center/HerKare and a volunteer for the American Heart Association .
The reason many people dont know? There are often few or no symptoms associated with high blood pressure, says Sondra DePalma, a cardiac physician assistant at PinnacleHealth CardioVascular Institute with UPMC Pinnacle in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, which is why it is called the silent killer.
If youre wondering how to lower blood pressure, luckily, there are natural ways to do so with the proper diet and healthy lifestyle changes.
Recommended Reading: Can Claritin Raise Your Blood Pressure
Herbs That May Help Lower High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure, also called hypertension, affects nearly half of all American adults .
Its the most common preventable risk factor for heart disease .
This article looks at the scientific research behind 10 herbs and spices that may help lower blood pressure.
- systolic blood pressure over 130 mm Hg
- diastolic blood pressure over 80 mm Hg
- both systolic and diastolic values above these levels
You can manage blood pressure with medications, such as angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and calcium channel blockers.
Many dietary and lifestyle changes can also reduce your blood pressure and lower your risk of heart disease.
In fact, studies have shown that some herbs and spices may reduce blood pressure levels, so you may want to consider adding these to your diet, too.
Make sure to speak with your healthcare provider before using any of the following herbs.
Below are 10 herbs that may help lower blood pressure.
You can manage high blood pressure with medication, as well as dietary and lifestyle changes. Some herbs and spices may likewise help lower blood pressure.
Basil is a flavorful herb that comes in various forms. Its popular in alternative medicine because its rich in various powerful compounds.
Sweet basil is high in eugenol. Research has linked this plant-based antioxidant to many health benefits, including lowered blood pressure .
Triphala Powder As Home Remedy
Triphala is a combination of three powerful herbs Amla, Haritaki and Bibhitaki, which delivers multiple health benefits.
The capillary and flavonoids content of linolenic acid and phospholipids contained by Triphala improve the blood circulation, which increases the adrenergic function and helps the body to relieve stress, an important cause for hypertension.
The anti-obesity effects and anti-inflammatory properties of triphala help in lowering edema and inflammation, as a result there is a less pressure against the blood vessels walls which in turn decreases the workload of your heart and lowers your blood pressure.
How to use
Check out Home remedies for diabetes
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Bp Is Low
Dark Chocolate As Remedy For Blood Pressure
Dark chocolate contains more flavonoids with a higher proportion of cocoa solids. Flavonoids boost the production of nitric oxide, which relaxes the arteries. Which promotes smooth blood flow through your blood vessels, thereby lower blood pressure.
Flavonoids in cocoa improve the function of blood vessels. A moderate amount of cocoa help to reduce the risks of blood clot thus helps in reducing blood pressure.
How to use
Eat a small square of dark chocolate daily
Assess Your Sleeping Habits
Obstructive sleep apnea is a recognized cause of high blood pressure. In fact, about half of the people who have sleep apnea also have high blood pressure, according to a review of research published in the journal Hypertension. The sleep disorder, in which breathing stops and starts dozens or hundreds of times a night, can be recognized by loud snoring or excessive tiredness during the day. Talk to a doctor if you have any of these nine signs of sleep apnea.
You May Like: Can Apple Watch Tell Your Blood Pressure
Natural Foods For Controlling Hypertension
Natural or Ayurvedic Herbal supplements have long been used in many cultures to treat a variety of ailments. Some natural supplements may also help lower blood pressure. There are many health benefits of natural supplements or foods. The natural foods for controlling hypertension are mentioned below. And the benefits are described as well.
Eat More Vegetables And Fruits
Vegetables and fruits contain bioflavonoids, these herbal chemicals that act as powerful antioxidants and maintain the strength and flexibility of the blood vessel walls.
In addition, they contain dietary fiber that also contributes to reducing blood pressure by reducing sodium absorption, as well as by giving a feeling of satiety that helps to lose weight.
Read Also: Claritin D And Blood Pressure
Top Foods For A High Blood Pressure Diet
One of the best things you can do to lower your blood pressure is to eat a healthy, high blood pressure diet. Read on below to find out more about what foods are good for high blood pressure.
- High fiber foods: Unprocessed foods high in fiber such as vegetables, fruits and seeds should be the basis of any healthy diet. If youre wondering how can you stabilize your blood pressure, eating foods high in healthy fiber can definitely help.
- Low sodium foods: Excess salt consumption raises blood pressure. Limit your consumption to no more than 1,5002,000 mg daily.
- High potassium foods: Potassium counteracts the effects of sodium and helps lower blood pressure. Include foods like melons, avocados and bananas.
- Omega-3 rich foods: Consume omega-3 rich foods like grass-fed beef, wild caught salmon, chia and flax seeds to reduce inflammation.
8 Foods That Reduce Blood Pressure:
1. Dark chocolate:
Look for a dark chocolate that contains at least 200 milligrams of cocoa phenols, which can reduce blood pressure.
Garlic and garlic supplements can help lower blood pressure and relax smooth muscles. Research on the health benefits of garlic is finding more and more miraculous effects. Among them, garlic seems to help thin the blood, prevent the blockage in blood vessels, and therefore lower blood pressure.
Spinach is rich in magnesium and folate, which can help prevent high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease.
4. Sunflower Seeds: